The athletic program is committed to the Catholic mission of St. Joseph Grade School. Athletic teams are open to all students in designated grade levels as stated for each team listed below provided the student meets the standard academic eligibility, has positive school citizenship and conducts oneself in a sportsmanlike manner at all times. Participation in the program, therefore, is a privilege earned by students who meet and maintain these qualifications. The interscholastic sports program offers young men and women an opportunity to exhibit, as well as develop positive leadership skills, character, responsibility and a competitive spirit within the parameters of a moral and Catholic atmosphere.
Athletics at SJGS play a huge role in our school. Sports offer SJGS students a unique bonding experience that builds teamwork, friendships, spirit, confidence, and character. There are many valuable lessons that are learned through team sports such as fair play, cooperation, sportsmanship, and passion. Pairing these athletic experiences with a rigorous academic curriculum, students are able to work on self-discipline, respect, communication skills, and collaboration--all attributes that will greatly benefit them throughout their lives. While our teams will work hard to be as successful as possible, participation is a key factor in a quality athletic program.
The SJGS is proud of its student-athletes as they dedicate and commit themselves to their chosen athletic endeavors. The school is committed to providing a positive, challenging, competitive and fair athletic experience that emphasizes true SPARTAN SPIRIT!
Goals of the Athletic Program
- Teach the values of fair play and good competition
- Encourage team work as an important part of a student’s growth toward maturity
- Promote school spirit and develop a sense of pride in the school
- Promote respect for other athletes, fans, and authority on the athletic field as a means of learning respect for others in day-to-day living
- Provide all students with the opportunity to learn and compete in a wide variety of sports
- Promote the Catholic faith and values in the development and formation of its student-athletes
- Through competitive sports, develop students bodies, minds and spiritual well-being
Physicals - All participants on any athletic team must have a current health physical on file in the athletic office. Each new season requires a re-certification form filled out by the parent. All necessary athletic forms may downloaded from this website.
Academics - Students must maintain a passing grade in all academic and special subjects as well as an "S", satisfactory in school conduct.
League Affilation- SJGS teams participate in the Monmouth -Ocean County Parochial Athletic League and come under the jurisdiction of their by-laws. All teams must also follow the guidelines and policies of the Monmouth-Ocean County Athletic Council of the Diocese of Trenton, under the direction of the Diocesan Athletic Commissioner.
- Boys’ Soccer (Grades 6-8)
- Girls’ Soccer (Grades 6-8)
- Boys’ & Girls’ Cross-Country (Grades 4-8)
- Boys’ Varsity Basketball (Grades 7-8)
- Boys’ JV Basketball (Grades 5-6)
- Girls’ Varsity Basketball (Grades 7-8)
- Girls’ JV Basketball (Grades 5-6)
- Wrestling (Grades 5-8 grade 5 is developmental)
- Varsity Cheerleading (Grades 7-8) (for basketball)
- JV Cheerleading (Grades 5-6) (for basketball
- Co-Ed Swim Club (Grades 5-8)
- Baseball (Grades 6-8)
- Softball (Grades 5-8 ),
- Co-Ed Tennis (Grades 5-8 grade 5 is developmental),
- Boys’ & Girls’ Track (Grades 4-8)
- Girls Varsity Volleyball (Grades 7-8)
- Girls’ JV Volleyball (Grades 5-6)
All athletes must have documentation of a recent up–to–date medical physical on file before participating in open gym, try outs or team play.